Climbing up on the hill to race to the top while your friend lags; riding a bike is a super fun activity that promises to keep you physically fit and energized.
But of course, with bikes so heavy, carrying them on your bare shoulders to the “starting point” isn’t always an option. And also transporting them on your vehicle isn’t feasible without the right “gear” either. From roof-mount racks to hitch-mount racks, one can easily get confused with the options available. But, if you’re looking to transport one or more than one bike at a time in the most cost-effective manner and without damages then trunk-mount bike racks are the best choice to avail.
To help you through the decision, here is a list of some of the best trunk bike racks that’ll carry the load for you.
These racks are super handy, light in weight, and the best way to carry your bike around, saving you the pain!
|Allen Sports Deluxe 2- Bike Trunk Mount Rack||Compatible with most cars, can carry more than one bike, sturdy and easy to install||https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TRTSAZM|
|Tyger Auto Deluxe Black 2- Bike Trunk Mount Carrier Rack||Tyger’s lifetime warranty, easy install, e-coated and padded for rust and damage-free usage, affordable||https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4WLZ4G|
|Allen Sports Deluxe 2 Bike Trunk Mount Rack||Partially foldable, made from coated tubular steel for strength, can carry more than one bike||https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ELUXFC|
|Venzo 3 Universal Bicycle Carrier Rack||Carry three bikes, made out of high strength steel and coated with black powder, rubber padding for extra protection., six strap holding system for sturdiness
|Saris Bones Car Bike Rack||Aluminum body with coat makes for durability, can fit in four bikes at a time,
made of recyclable material and is eco-friendly, three strapping points ensure your bikes are secured tightly in place
|Allen Sports Deluxe 2 bike Trunk Mount Rack||Metal frame coated with powder for a lifetime performance, light in weight, long arms to manage bikes of variable sizes, removable hooks, comes with Allen’s life time warranty||https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ASSQYK4|
|Hollywood Racks Express Trunk Mounted Bike Rack||Pre-assembled for easy installation, compatible with minivans, sedans and hatchbacks, EPDM rubber straps, easily foldable, affordable||https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E3RE5I|
|Allen Sports Premier Trunk Bike Rack||Larger arms and intelligent design manages the weight of the bike evenly, extra padding for careful installation, UV resistant rubber cradle, available in three flavors: 2 bike rack, 3 bike rack and 4 bike rack||https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ASSR020|
|Allen Sports Ultra Compact Trunk Mounted Bike Rack||Easy to install and foldable, comes with a carrying bag, resin coated hooks and padded bars for extra protection, affordable
|Allen Sports Aluminum Folding 2- Bike Rack||Made from aluminum 6061, foldable, compact (measures smaller than a shoe box when folded) and light in weight, lower padded body, individual tie downs, a size chart available with manufacture and Amazon helps you choose the right rack for your vehicle||https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ASSR264|
Allen Sports Deluxe 2- Bike Trunk Mount Rack
Doesn’t matter if you own a Sedan or a Minivan, the Allen Sports Deluxe 2- Bike Trunk Mount Rack will fit perfectly!
The trunk-mounted bike rack can easily carry two bikes at a time, if, the combined weight of these does not exceed 70 pounds.
But what makes it special is that it is easy to install and comes with two lateral straps, giving it more stability. Even if you’re a fast driver who loves adventure, the rack on the back of your trunk won’t budge!
The single configuration design of the mount racks allows you to install it in the back within seconds. Hassle-free installation is what you get to enjoy with this product! Also, the lower frames come completely padded to keep the cycles away from the car, avoiding unnecessary scratching and damage to the vehicle.
Plus, the individual tie downs that come along in the rack make sure the bike is securely placed in the rack, irrespective of the size of the cycle.
Install the rack, place your bike inside, tighten the cords, and your good to go!
- Easy to install
- Can carry two bikes simultaneously
- The additional side straps make the mount rack more stable
- Can fit in bikes of various sizes
- It can easily fix on trunks of different cars including sedans, minivans, and hatchbacks
- Comes with Allen lifetime warranty
- The high-quality material of the rack increases durability
- The metals hooks on the rack may scratch the paint or slightly damage the car if not covered with some padding
- A bit expensive as compared to other racks in the market
Tyger Auto Deluxe Black 2- Bike Trunk Mount Carrier Rack
In a price as low as this, this is the best trunk bike rack to own right now!
The Tyger Auto Deluxe Black 2- Bike rack can easily fit in two bikes at the same time, ensuring sturdiness while driving through rugged plains. But if you’re looking to carry multiple bikes in a single go, there is a newer version of this rack that’ll live up to your expectations.
This bike rack for car trunk is E-coated throughout so that your car paint does not get spoiled. It can easily be placed on trunks of most SUVs, Sedans, Hatchbacks, and Minivans, but make sure none of these are equipped with rear spoilers or this rack is a big NO!
The Tyger Auto Deluxe Black 2- bike carrier comes pre-assembled, making it easy and quick to install. All you need is a few minutes to tighten it at the back of your car and you’re set for the day.
Once you’re done bike riding, unstrap the rack, carry the arms, and de-install it until next time! Also, the OE Standard Black E-coating keeps it safe from rusting away! The bike mount carrier is perfectly designed with a lower padded frame, saving both your vehicle and bike from scratches that look UGLY.
Additionally, the mount rack comes with Tyger’s lifetime warranty, what else could one ask for?
- Tyger’s lifetime warranty makes it a great choice
- Easy to fix and install
- E-coating keeps it safe from rusting and wasting away
- The padded lower frame minimizes damage to the vehicle
- Affordable and quality product
- Not for cars equipped with rear spoilers
Allen Sports Deluxe 2 Bike Trunk Mount Rack
This rack may not look the coolest of all but certainly does the work better than others. Allen’s bike trunk mount rack model is great for most vehicles including Sedans, SUVs, and minivans, of course.
Nonetheless, at a price like this, you’ll be more than satisfied to have a quality product like this. Also, this trunk bike rack by Allen is easy to install, amazingly designed, and durable.
This one here is manufactured from tubular steel and coated with a black back, ensuring that the product lasts for years without any wearing and tearing. Also, like all other Allen sports products, the bike rack for the car trunk comes with a lifetime warranty, so that you can use it the way you want to without a second thought.
The 12 inches long arms of the rack provide you with enough space to accommodate two bikes with ease. Also, the space between both the arms is calculated to be around 11.5 inches, thus, you can tightly secure bikes of any size.
Allen’s mount rack here can fit in two bikes at a time making sure that the combined weight does not exceed 70 pounds. All you need to do is clip in the trunk, secure your bike and off you go!
The best thing about this rack here is that it is partially foldable. So once you’re done using it, fold it and slide it inside the trunk of the car.
- Partially foldable
- Made out of tubular steel and coated with black paint for increased durability
- Easy to install
- Can carry two bikes simultaneously
- Affordable and comes with a lifetime warranty
- The clips need to be secured with tape or else can damage your vehicle’s paint
Venzo 3 Universal Bicycle Carrier Rack
This Taiwan-made bike rack for the car trunk is a fine choice for people who love riding a bike! Made of high-strength steel, reinforced plastics, and coated with wrinkle black powder, this product promises to deliver its purpose for a lifetime.
Venzo’s universal bicycle carrier is compatible with most cars and can adjust bicycles of every size and shape. But yes, when it comes down to ladies Y shaped bikes or kid’s bicycle; you might need an additional adapter bar to fix them in place.
The package includes the rack along with straps and clamp protectors. The six-strap holding system allows you to tighten the rack in place with a bicycle on it and drive along the steepest of roads with worries.
It can hold 3 bicycles in one time, weighing no more than 99.2 pounds combined. Even the plastic protectors on the rack are coated with powder, making it UV resistant so you get to enjoy a product that remains as good as new even after years of use.
And yes, the rubber on the hooks of the racks ensures your car remains scratch-free! The only thing that you need to remember while purchasing this rack is to fold it back up when not in use. Why? This is because the rack itself weighs quite heavy, so keeping it fixed for a long time may do a little damage to your vehicle.
- Can carry three bikes at a time without breaking lose
- Made out of high strength steel for enhanced durability
- Coated with black powder to avoid rusting, UV resistant, wearing, and tearing over a life span
- The rubber protectors over hooks keep your car safe from scratches
- The six strap holding system adds to the rack’s sturdiness
- Compatible with vehicles both big and small
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- A quality product set at an affordable price
- The rack weighs heavier than other racks available, thus when not in use, it needs to be folded and kept away
- The fasteners and clamps are made of plastic rather than metal which may question the product’s durability
- Additional adapter bar for kid’s and ladies bicycle is not included in the package and has to be bought separately
Saris Bones Car Bike Rack
Looking for something exceptionally strong and of top-notch quality? The Saris Bones trunk bike rack is made for you!
This sleekly designed black rack does absolute justice to its name by proving to be as strong as bones. It is crafted out of aluminum with arched arms and legs, which is what adds to its strength and high performance.
Also, the bones’ bike rack for car trunk is dusted with a coat that makes it rust-free and more importantly; the material used in its manufacturing is recyclable. YES, this rack by Saris Bones is eco-friendly!
The rack can fit up to 4 bikes, bearing weight up to 140 pounds. Being able to hold so much weight at one time, the rack itself weighs pretty light. Additionally, the arched arms and legs make it an easy fit for cars of variable sizes and shapes, including minivans, sedans, and hatchbacks.
The Bones bike rack here has three strapping points. Two at the top and one on the seat tube so your bikes are secured tightly in place. Although, the rack itself promises to deliver a performance as you want but surely has a downside to it.
The metal hooks on the rack come uncovered; thus, can ruin your car’s paint job. Other than this, the Saris Bones rack is a quality product that cyclists shouldn’t miss out on.
- Aluminum body with coat makes it durable
- Compatible with different cars
- Can fit in four bikes at a time
- Light in weight and of top-notch quality
- Made of recyclable material and is eco-friendly
- The three strapping points ensure your bikes are secured tightly in place
- The coat dusted on the rack makes it rust-free
- The metal hooks are uncovered which can ruin your car’s paint job
Allen Sports Deluxe 2 bike Trunk Mount Rack
The next spot on the list of best trunk bike rack 2021 goes to Allen’s Sports Deluxe 2 Bike rack.
This rack here looks like your average bike rack but can hold up to two bikes simultaneously with a combined weight of 70 pounds. The rack itself is light in weight and easy to install. From hatchbacks to sedans, this bike carrier can fit all perfectly.
But remember, before you go out to buy this one, weigh your bikes to ensure it can withstand the weight of them.
The steel bars come coated with powder, adding to its tensile strength while the 12 inch long arms provide ample space for your bikes to fit in. The parallel bars are 12.5 inches apart so that no matter how big your bicycle is, it can tightly be strapped to the rack.
Like other Allen Sports goods, this bike trunk rack comes with a lifetime warranty. And yes, the foam coated metal hooks keep the vehicle safe from scratches and wear. Also, installing this product is super easy. Within minutes of unboxing, you can fit in the back of your car trunk, strap in your bicycle and drive away!
With this rack installed on the back of your car, you can easily remove a couple of hooks and open the boot. Now, you do not need to remove it altogether to grab something from the back!
- Easy to install
- Sturdy and durable
- Metal frame coated with powder for a lifetime performance
- Light in weight and compatible with multiple car types
- Can fit in two bicycles at a time
- Long arms to manage bikes of variable sizes
- The rack comes with Allen’s lifetime warranty
- Removable hooks allow you to open the boot without de-installing the entire rack
- No padding on the metal hooks which can scratch your car’s paint upon installation
- No foam covering on the pedal of the rack, which if comes in contact with the vehicle can cause unnecessary damage
Hollywood Racks Express Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
Simple yet creatively designed, the Hollywood Racks Express is here to carry your bicycle with style! If you’re looking to fit in two bikes or carry maybe three bikes to cycle in a rally, this rack provides you with both the option.
But when purchasing, remember to weigh your bikes as the rack can hold up to a total of 70 pounds weight at one time. Another feature that makes it the best trunk bike rack is the installation! It comes pre-assembled and so; all you need to do is unpack it and hook it at the back of your car.
This Hollywood Racks Express mounted bike carrier comes padded with rubber, protecting your car from any damage or abuse. Also, the EPDM rubber straps keep your bikes tightly fixed in place.
And yes, you might simply love how this rack easily folds away while you get to use the car trunk without a hassle. With this rack, you do not need to de-install to get access to your stuff in the rack, plus keep it fixed in place as long as you want without ruining the car’s paint job.
One small disadvantage this product has is that you need to purchase an additional adapter bar to place in kids’ or ladies’ bikes. The extra purchase may seem like an issue to many! Nonetheless, the Hollywood Racks Express carrier can be installed on cars like sedans, minivans, and hatchbacks without you sweating over the compatibility of it.
- Pre-assembled making it easy to install
- Compatible with minivans, sedans, and hatchbacks
- Comes in two flavors: 2 bike trunk rack and 3 bike trunk rack
- EPDM rubber straps to secure your bicycles in place
- Rubber covered hooks cause little to no damage to the vehicle
- Easily foldable
- Sturdy and durable with an affordable price
- You need to buy an extra adapter bar for kids and ladies bike
- Even though the hooks are padded, you might need to place an old piece of cloth under the rack pedal to avoid unnecessary damage to the car
- Cannot be used for E-bikes
Allen Sports Premier Trunk Bike Rack
Allen Sports has been ruling the industry for 60 years with its quality products. Thus, here is another one of the company’s creative rack that serves its purpose, satisfying you with its quality and performance.
This Premier trunk bike rack is one of the most expensive ones on the market. But of course, with the extra price, you’ll get the “extra” benefit. This trunk-mounted bike rack comes with additional padding on the arms and legs for tension-free installation.
You get to choose from two flavors of it: 2 bike racks, 3 bike racks, or 4 bike racks, suiting your need. With a capacity of 70 pounds weight for, this rack here can carry two bicycles simultaneously with the 12 inches long arms helping to disturb the weight evenly throughout the carrier. Whereas the three bike carriers can hold up to 100 pounds of weight, the four bike rack can withstand a good weight of 140 pounds combined.
Allen Premier rack here is adaptable to cars, both big and small. Whether you own a sedan or minivan, this rack will cleverly attack your car trunk with 2 patent straps at the lower body to secure it tightly in place.
The trunk bike rack is designed with individual tie-down cradles which allows you to secure bikes in place, keeping them safe during a bumping ride. To ensure the weight of your bikes and the rack itself is spread evenly throughout your vehicle, it is designed with the bottom rack sitting on the lip of your trunk while the upper part clips near to your rear window.
And no matter how many bikes you wish to carry with you, the extra clips on the rack help you fix them in place.
- Coated with powder for rust protection
- Comes with Allen lifetime warranty
- Larger arms and intelligent design manages the weight of the bike evenly throughout the rack
- Extra padding for careful installation
- UV resistant rubber cradle
- Adaptive of every car, big or small
- Comes with enough clips to hold your bikes tightly in their places
- Available in three flavors: 2 bike rack, 3 bike rack, and 4 bike rack
- Expensive as compared to other racks available in the market
- The clips may not be able to hold the bicycle tightly in place. Thus, you might need additional cords to serve the same purpose
Allen Sports Ultra Compact Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
If you’re looking for a bike rack that is simple and takes minimum space upon the trunk then Allen Ultra-compact mounted bike rack is a perfect choice!
This sleekly designed carrier is made to fit in one bike but you may opt for one offering to position two bicycles at one time. What makes it the best trunk bike rack for bicycle lovers is the compact size of it.
The rack is easy to install and folded back when not in use. When in the folded position, the rack is no bigger than the size of your palm and comes along with a bag so you can carry it along whenever and wherever you want.
It is designed in a way that installing it will never be a problem for you! The rack measures 2.3 inches by 3.5 inches by 14 inches, weighing 6.5 only! Yes, it is small and compact.
Allen’s ultra-compact trunk bike rack comes with three padded legs, two that fix on the rear window while the third one rests on the boot of the trunk. These padded legs make sure the paint job of your vehicle remains intact while also protecting your bike against scratching and abuse.
Additionally, the metal bars come with rotating clamps, so when required, you can move the clips to the position in your bike without a hassle. The resin-covered hooks also keep your car safe from scratches and the lifetime Allen’s warranty gives you a chance to use the rack without any worries.
- Easy to install and foldable
- Comes with a bag so you can fold it and carry it along whenever and wherever needed
- Resin coated hooks for extra protection
- Padded bars of the rack keep your vehicle and the bike itself safe from scratching
- Take minimum space on the back of the trunk, making it ultra-compact and easy to use
- You can either go for 1 bike rack or 2 bike rack, which suits your needs
- Extremely affordable and quality product
- Good for bikes of smaller in size and light in weight
- The tie-downs down fix the bicycle tightly in place, making it unsuitable for longer and bumpier trips
- Not as stable and sturdy as compared to other racks by Allen
- Cannot carry bikes that are bigger and weigh more
Allen Sports Aluminum Folding 2- Bike Rack
As the name suggests, Allen’s Aluminum bike rack can be folded away to fit in a bag and carried at the back of your car or shoulders from place to place. Its compact size (when folded measures even smaller than a shoebox) and lightweight is what makes this rack everyone’s favorite.
This mounted trunk bike rack may look small at the first glance but can easily fit in 2 adult bikes with a combined weight not exceeding 70 pounds. Also, the aluminum 6061 body of the rack adds to its sturdiness and durability, delivering performance for years to come by.
Another great thing about Allen’s folding 2 racks here is that the product comes with a size chart on Amazon. Why? This is so you can ensure that this creative beauty fits at the back of your car perfectly before making the purchase. This of course saves a lot of your time, energy, and money! If you still find the chart on Amazon unsatisfactory, you always have an option to contact the manufacturer for details. Plus, like every other average trunk-mounted bike rack, this carrier is compatible with most sedans, SUVs, minivans, and hatchbacks.
This bike car trunk carrier here comes with an individual tie-down that promises to secure your bikes well in place. The padding on the lower frame keeps your bike away from the vehicle avoiding accidental scratching to it.
- Made from aluminum 6061 which makes it sturdy and highly durable
- This foldable rack comes with a bag so when needed, can be put away anywhere without damage until further use
- Compact (measures smaller than a shoebox when folded) and light in weight
- Can hold up to two bikes simultaneously
- Lower padded body for extra protection
- Individual tie-downs for securely fixing bicycles well in place
- The size chart available with the manufacture and Amazon helps you choose the right rack for your vehicle
- Compatible with most SUVs, sedans, minivans, and hatchbacks
- Easy to install
- Comes with Allen’s lifetime warranty
- Not suitable for bicycles of greater weight and size like mountain bikes
- One might need to use additional clamps or cords to tie down the bicycle as the tie-down of the rack might not always be reliable
Buying Guide: Making the Right Choice
Choosing the best trunk bike rack for your car that certainly satisfies your needs isn’t an easy task. Various factors impact your decision, including the size of the rack, durability, the patent tie-down system, quality, etc. so, how can you know what to look for? For cyclists who love to take their bikes everywhere they go, here is a quick guide to help you buy the right bike rack for car trunk without wasting further energy and time:
- Compatibility with your Car
One of the most important things to consider while buying a bike carrier is to check its compatibility with your vehicle. An average size rack is good enough to sit on the trunk boot of most SUVs, minivans, sedans, and hatchbacks.
If you own a bigger car like a Honda Accord or some other, make sure you go for a rack that is designed for it and is easy to install.
- Number of Bikes
If you like biking with your friends and family, then opting for a rack that can hold more than one bike at a time is a feasible choice. Rather than buying multiple racks for every car, go for one rack that can fit in 2 or 3 bicycles at a time, and that too securely in place. Labels like Allen and Saris now offer carriers with space to strap in 4 bikes at a time, but of course one needs to consider the combined weight of their bicycles for compatibility.
- Installation Convenience
Most racks are super easy to install. If your someone with minimum technical knowledge and finds it difficult to read through guides, go for pre-assembled bike racks.
Generally, the pre-assembled one comes with clips and clamps. So, all you need to do is unpack the rack and clip it at the back of your car trunk. And yes, if you do not wish to keep it fixed at the boot when not in use and fold it away then installation convenience should be your topmost priority. You can even find foldable racks today that come with carrying bags. So, when not in use, it can be easily de-installed and compactly packed away.
- Sturdiness and Security
Of course, mountain bikes or adult bicycles cost high! So, if you’re securing it to your car trunk car, you need to make sure it is tightly fixed in place. Thus, when going for a bike rack, always check for its sturdiness and weight it can carry.
You won’t want to choose a lightweight rack that disassembles under your bike rack, clipping off at a bumpy road and losing the bike without you knowing. Although most tracks are made out of metal with longer arms and legs to position your bikes securely in place with clamps and clips. But if you wish to be extra careful with your possession, opt for a carrier with a powder-coated metal body and patent tie-down system.
You can also use extra cords and bungees to fix heavier bikes in place!
- Height and Design of the Rack
Always, yes, always consider the size of your car before heading out to make a purchase. Why? This is because an average bike rack is designed for smaller vehicles like sedans and minivans and may not fit well at the back of your Honda Accord.
Even if you own an SUV, make sure the rack is designed to fit. You wouldn’t want to go for a super heightened rack with longer arms and legs, higher than your trunk’s elevation. In a case like this, you’ll then be needing extra cords and clamps to clip it in place. So, why put in extra bucks when things can be done the right way?
- The Budget
Of course, you cannot just go out randomly and pick up stuff, unless you’ve just won a lottery. Bike racks are EXPENSIVE! But, many popular labels are offering quality trunk bike racks at very affordable prices.
Hence, when thinking of buying a trunk-mounted bike rack, know your budget. Once you know how much you can spend, only then you’ll be looking in the right places. Although top-notch quality means spending more bucks, but you can still find a decent bike carrier at a much lower price.
- Manufacturer’s Reputation
Well, today most people go by the “name”. if you know of a brand or a label that has been selling products for years, you’ll know they’re offering quality and make the purchase right away.
Thus, when you need to buy a bike rack, always look up the manufacturer. Not only will this give you an idea of the quality of their offering at a lower price, but also secure you with a lifetime warranty card. When it comes to pricing, quality, and durability, names like Allen and Saris can be blindly trusted.
- Padded or Not-Padded Racks
You wouldn’t want to ruin the paint job of your car because of the rack. This is why, when thinking of buying a bike rack for car trunk, choose the one with padded hooks and clamps to avoid accidental denting of your car. Also, the padding will keep your bike safe from scratching, wearing, and tearing.
Types of Trunk Bike Racks
For those with little know-how about bike carriers, there are three basic types of trunk bike racks found in the market: fixed, adjustable, and foldable. Each of these comes with its set of pros and cons, and of course, prices also vary according to the type. Here is a more detailed look into the types of racks you might come across when doing your research for the right product:
- Fixed Trunk Bike Rack
These are the basic types of racks that come pre-assembled most of the time and easy to install. Fixed carriers have frames bolted or welded together and sticks to the boot of your trunk with the help of clamps and clips. These racks can carry one or more bicycles at one time, depending upon the size, and have non-adjustable arms and legs. In short, once you fix it to your trunk, there is no budging it afterward!
For bikers who kick the pedal once in a while are suggested to go for a foldable trunk-mounted bike rack. These bike carriers are super simple in design, easy to install, and can be detached without a hassle once done using them. Foldable racks come with bags so when you’re not using them, they can be un-installed, folded, placed inside the bag, and put away until further notice.
Although the foldable ones are not very durable as compared to other rack types, but are decent enough to be used occasionally. These don’t take up much room and save you some space in the parking lot, when not riding a bike!
Adjustable one is the best trunk bike rack for people who bigger cars or bicycles, especially if you own a mountain bike. These racks have adjustable arms and legs, bars that can be rotated and fixed according to the size of your vehicle and bike.
An average rack is designed to fit most sedans, SUVs, hatchbacks, and minivans but not cars with bigger trunks. Thus, if you have a vehicle with a bigger trunk boot, the adjustable rack can be customized according to your need, fixing well in place. Plus, these are better at holding heavier bikes without breaking a clip lose!
How to Choose the Right Car Trunk Rack for Your Bike
Confused about what you should be looking for in a good bike rack? Here is a quick guide to help you through:
- Know what you want to transport
Always choose a rack that goes well with your bike. An average rack is designed to carry adult bicycles weighing less than 30-40 pounds. Thus, if you own a mountain bike, opt for a rack that is made specifically for these bicycles, or else, the usual one won’t work.
- What do you want to take along?
If you want to carry bikes only, no other sports good than a car trunk bike rack is the safest and most affordable option for you to avail. These are easy to install and hold more than one bike at a time without losing their grip.
- What do you want?
Before heading out to buy one, sit, and think about what purpose you want it to serve. If you have to go cycling with friends and family, regularly, then choose a rack that holds more than one bike at a time.
On the contrary, if you have longer routes to cover, that too alone, go for a bike trunk rack that is simple and light in weight.
How to Install a Trunk Bike Rack
Installing a bike rack is no rocket science, especially when these things already come pre-assembled for your comfort. If your one of those who are bad at following the installation manual, here are a few steps that help you fix the rack in place in no time at all:
- First, unpack the rack and hold it up. Clamp the upper support bars on top of your car and the lower bars below your license plate. If you have a car trunk of a bigger size, you might need to see the instruction manual and adjust the bars accordingly.
- Next, harness the rack to the lid of your car trunk. Tighten the straps, but do not overdo it or else it might break loose once you put the bike on it. Most racks come with a system that includes multiple harnesses to be attached at different positions. This way you can make sure the rack remains sturdy and tightly fixed in place.
- Once done, check for re-affirmation that no clamp, strap, or clip is loose before placing your bike on it.
- Now, you’re all set to strap on your bike and drive away! Remember to cover metal hooks with either tape or rubber if not done so already. This will keep your car paint safe from scratches.
Benefits of Having a Bike Rack for Car Trunk
Not having a car tow for your bike? You can’t of course carry it on your bare shoulders or simply rope it on top of your car! A car trunk bike rack is the easiest way to get your work done!
But, how is a trunk bike rack better than other racks? Here is what you should know:
- Trunk bike racks are much affordable and inexpensive than other types of racks.
- As compared to rooftop or hitch bike racks, these are easy to install and come in a variety of options, adding to their user benefit. Like you get to choose from foldable, fixed, or adjustable trunk rack, whichever suits your needs.
- Trunk mounted bike racks are compatible with most cars, including sedans, SUVs, minivans, and hatchbacks. If you have a bigger vehicle like a Honda Accord, the adjustable bike rack will surely serve its purpose, charging you less than a penny.
- These can carry up to four bikes at a time, saving your space, energy, and time.
- Most trunk bike racks are made of metal bodies coated with powder, which adds to their tensile strength, promising to deliver great performance for a lifetime.
- Carriers that attach to the boot of the trunk are sturdier and durable.
- Most come with a patent strapping system, allowing you to strap in your bikes tightly and securely, keeping it safe against a bumpy ride.
- Companies like Allen and Saris manufacture trunk racks that come completely padded so that your vehicle remains safe from damage and tear.
For quick, short journeys, trunk bike racks make a great choice, serving their purpose without costing you an arm and leg.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Still, looking for answers? These might help:
Is a trunk-mounted bike rack safe to use?
These racks may be inexpensive to buy but are the same to use. Most trunk car racks come with a patent strapping system, that allows you to tightly fix your bicycle on the rack and the metal body bolted or welded together provides sturdiness to the frame. So, no matter how bumpy is your ride, your bike surely remains in a safe place!
Will it damage my car?
Most carriers come with padded bars and hooks covered with rubber to avoid unnecessary damage to your car. But there are a few that have uncovered metal hooks that can ruin your car’s paint job. But of course, you can always mask those with tape, some cloth, or rubber on your own.
I have a rack that can hold up to two bikes at one time. Can I convert it into a three bicycle carrier?
Generally, carriers with an option of holding up to four bikes are available in the market. You can add an extra set of cradle or bar for one more to your present rack, but of course that will interfere with the performance. It may become unsteady and damage both your vehicle and bike. So, it is advisable to switch to another rack in the need of time.
Trunk-mounted bike racks make a great choice to carry your bicycles without the hassle and securely, without disturbing your budget. But before you buy one for yourself, remember to list-down things that you are looking for in a rack so that you can choose the right product!